Formalities to enter Japan
Oversea students who are going to study in Japan are required to get
"College Student" visa to enter and reside in Japan.
[Japanese Government Scholarship
- Apply for a passport.
- Take your passport to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate and apply
a "College Student" visa as soon as you receive notification of your
Japanese government Scholarship award and placement in Nagoya
- You will be given a "College Student" visa and have your passport
returned to you.
*Confirm that "Government Scholar" is written on your visa.
*The students who were recommended by the Japanese Embassy should follow the instractions given by the Embassy.
[Other Foreign Students]
- Apply for a passport
- Enquire about details of appliction for visa at the school in
you will be enrolled or your academic supervisor as soon as you receive
an offer of admission from Nagoya University.
*Most schools of Nagoya Univesity will send you an application form for a Certificate of Eligibility (C/E). Please fill in the form and send it back to your school with two photos (3X4cm) and any other required documents. Howerver some schools will not apply to Nagoya Immigration Bureau for a C/E on your behalf. If the application form is not sent to you, please enquire at the Student Affairs Section of your prospective school or ask your academic supervisor.
*After applying, it usually takes a few months to get
your C/E. Please comply with the deadlines for submiting necessary documents for the application.
- Your C/E, as issued by Nagoya Immigration Bureau, will be sent to you from Nagoya University.
- Take your Passport, C/E and offer of admission from Nagoya University to the nearest Japanese Embassy/Consulate and apply for a "College Student" visa.
*In some cases, Japanese Embassy/Consulate may request some other documents. Please check in advance.
- You will be given a "College Student" visa and have your passport and C/E returned to you.
*You are required to submit the C/E to customs upon arrival at the Japanese airport. Please be sure to bring the certificate with you when you come to Japan.
[Top of Page]