Medical and Health Care
(Last up date: March, 2018)
1. The Medical and Health Care System
Japan National Health Insurance (JNHI)
International students who have a residence card are required to subscribe to the public health insurance program, and must do so at the same time as they notify their address at the ward office. (Late registratns cannot make use of health insurance until the day of notification, furthermore, health insurance premiums must be paid retroactively.)

In Nagoya, residents with no income in the previous year receive a 70% reduction on their insurance premium, paying about ¥l6,000 annually. A monthly payment of ¥1,300 will be automatically withdrawn from their bank accounts. If you are insured by the (JNHI) and live in Nagoya, you will pay 30% of medical and dental fees. If the amount of medical expenses paid by an insured person reaches a certain level, the fee paid by the insured is limited.

Please note that some treatments are not covered by this insurance, so be sure to check before undergoing dental procedure or hospitalization.
Family members who have a residence card can join the insurance scheme and will be charged 30% of medical expenses.

Please note that residents with income previous year will receive no or less premium reduction. When you move to outside Nagoya, you shoud withdraw from the plan at the ward office and join the new plan at the ward office of the new address (as of 2017).

Further information is available on the web page of Nagoya City.
The City of Nagoya: --> Insurance and Pension
2. Annual Medical Examination
The Health Administration Office of Nagoya University conducts medical examinations for students each year in April free of charge. Please follow instructions from the office of your school and pick up the necessary documents and equipment for your medical tests before going for the medical examination.
The Health Administration Office will issue health certificates which you may need to attach to your application for scholarships, or when you apply for university admission. After the mdeical examination, degree-seeking students can obtain the certificate through the issuing machine at their school. If research students need a certificate, they should inquire at the office of their school.
Students, who have not undergone the medical examination, should go to a hospital to be examined if they need a health certificate. Hospitals will charge you for the medical examination. The cost is not reimbursed.
3. Medical Services
If you suffer from continuous headaches, a loss of appetite, or you cannot sleep well, etc., you should seek the advice of a doctor before the condition gets worse. These symptoms may be a sign of fatigue or exhaustion. They may also be psychological or psychosomatic symptoms, which are treatable by specialist doctors. In addition to taking care of your own health, please pay attention to your friends' health and encourage them to see a doctor, if they are feeling unwell.

(1) The Health Administration Office  Tel: 052-789-3970

Students can undergo physical examinations, receive health advice, first-aid and arrange psychiatric counseling at this facility. There is no charge for using any of these services.
As of April 2015, a medical doctor specialized in consultations on cultural adjustment supports international students in the Health Administration Office and International Education & Exchange Center.
[Office Hours for Health Services]
Treatment Time Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri
Physical Examinations 10:00 - 11:30
13:30 - 16:00
Psychiatric Counseling 10:00 - 12:00 -
13:30 - 16:30 -

*The schedule is subject to change. Please check the weekly schedule at the reception at the Health Administration Office.
*Appointments are necessary for psychiatric counseling services. Please go to the reception of the Health Administrative Office for appointments.
*The Health Administrative Office is open between 9:00 - 12:00, 13:00 - 17:00 for first aid.

(2) Hospitals

Be sure to have your national insurance card with you on your initial visit.In the case of hospitalization, please notify your School’s office.

(3) Calling an Ambulance

Telephone ll9 or press the RED button on a public phone for connection, free of charge. Although it is possible to speak English, it would probably be helpful for you to say the following: Kyukyusha (ambulance) o onegai shimasu. Bashowa (your location) desu. (I am calling for an ambulance.I am at...(location).) This number is also used for requesting fire engines (shobosha). In Japan, ambulances are available 24 hours a day, free of charge.

(4) Automatic Voice/Fax Guide to Multilingual Hospitals and Clinics

You should call the telephone number and either give the nearest rail/subway station name or the name of the city, ward, town or village that you are living in. An automatic voice/fax service will guide you to the nearest hopital/clinic that can deal with patients in the chosen language.

Call Number: 050-5810-5884
Aichi Medical Information System’s website:
4. For Healthy Life
(1) Food Poisoning

Great care should be taken with regard to eating habits during the extreme summer weather in Japan. To avoid food spoilage, check the expiration date before buying food, apply heat to raw foods and be careful not to keep food in the refrigerator for an excessive amount of time.To guard against food poisoning, always wash culinary items with hot water. In the past, there was a frightening outbreak of O-157, a bacterial food poisoning disease.There was also an incident where students enrolled at Nagoya University were poisoned by eating wild mushrooms.

(2) Nutrition

People who live alone tend to eat instant and fast-foods, even if they are aware of the very low nutritional value. Continuing such a diet may lead to a person's health breaking down.If you would like to consult someone on food and nutrition in Japan, feel free to make an appointment at the Health Administration Office.

(3) Necessary measures to prevent the spread of infectious diseases

If you are traveling from Japan to another country, please seek travel advice regularly until the time of departure.Please follow the basic rules of hygiene to avoid being infected.
Overseas Safety HP (in Japanese only)
World Health Organization

[Top of Page]

International Education & Exchange Center, Nagoya University
Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku Nagoya 464-8601, JAPAN [ MAP ]
Phone: +81-52-789-2198 Fax: +81-52-789-5100
Copyright © 2014 International Education & Exchange Center, Nagoya University